Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Travel in Spirals: Thailand

I'm going on a journey back to my birthplace, Thailand, to learn traditional Hmong poetry (kwv txhiaj and paj huam) and to be immerse in the Hmong way of life in the old country. I called my project Travel in Spirals. "Spirals" is a reference to the snail symbols from the reverse applique patterns used by Hmong women in making traditional Hmong needlework called paj ntaub. Hence, I'm traveling in spiral back to the source of myself and my heritage.

I've been a hip hop and spoken word artist for the last 10 years spending most of my time teaching Hmong youths the art of poetry. About 4 years ago, I started collaborating with my grandmother, Youa Chang, and we created a performance called Fresh Traditions that integrated Hmong kwv txhiaj and spoken word poetry. We have been performing Fresh Traditions since. Our most recent show was at Brown University, Rhode Island on November 14, 2008.

My work with grandma inspired me to learn more about traditional Hmong poetry. I was amazed by how she created poetry and how she improvise her poetry considering she isn't an educated woman. It was the improv that really connected me to her because I do that in my work as well. This connection made me want to learn more about traditional Hmong poetry and how to create it.

Grandma is going on this trip with me. We are excited to be traveling back to Thailand together as I will be studying with my aunt whom I've never met. My aunt is also Grandma's eldest daughter who she hasn't seen for the last 30 years. I guess you can say we are both on a journey back to reconnect with our roots and immerse ourselves in lives that we haven't been a part of for a long time.

I invite you to journey back with me and look forward to sharing my discoveries with you. Post your comments and questions here and I will try to monitor the blog as well as I can. Right now, I don't know how much access I will have to the internet or how often I can get to an internet source.

4 comments:

Linda (Hawj) Her said...

Nyob Zoo TOU!!

I am so glad you made it safe there!
I am also very EXCITED for you and your journey! I can't wait to see what you bring back to our community here in America from all the way over there in Thailand!

Thank you very much for including me with the past events and projects you've been a part of. It means a great deal to me.

Keep doing ya thang!


best wishes,
Linda Hawj

Merry Christmas!

Gemeng said...

hey tou,

this be gemeng!!! i know crazy huh, but anyway, hey im glad to hear your trip is an amazing one so far. So how was that 16 hour plain ride eh. lol, thats the killer. anyway so how much thai baht is it to use the computers??? i know in laos its like 4000 kip thats like 17 baht, lif i remember correctly, so if you pay more than that your getting played. haha. but yeah man you had a hu plig done, dang you gots a heck a lot a strings to. but yeah man hope your having fun, and cant wait to hear your new take on life when you come back, we all miss you so stay safe...OH AND TRY DOG ITS GOOD!!!!
ttyl,

sin,
Ge to the izzo
Meng to the izzay

Macy said...

Hi Tou! I'm glad you're feeling better. I've truly enjoyed reading about your travel to Thailand. You presented your experience so well that I felt I was right there with you. However, I don't agree 100% regarding your opinion on us Hmong Mekas. But hey... we're all entitled to our own opinions. I wish you the best luck on your endeavors! Just call if you ever need anything or any additional support! We here in Syracuse are still here for you!

POV VWJ said...

Noob Zoo Tou Lee

I'm so glad with your travel in Thailand I want to say apologise you because I can't to help you do anythings that you need to do at all whereas I'm not be ready and many problems however I expect you probably like and enjoy them.

Thank you for you, my grammar, and eveyone that help my family many thing. I don,t have something give for you unless say "Thank you every much" and I need to say like that to you for my family.

I expect you'll come back to Thailand again.
See you


Thank you
POV VWJ